“Personnel lifts” are known by a variety of names, including ‘boom lifts’, ‘articulating boom lifts’, ‘aerial lifts’, ‘scissor lifts’, ‘cherry pickers’, ‘basket ladders’, and most commonly, ‘man lifts’. Whichever name you know them by, they all serve the same purpose: to lift a person up to a project which a conventional ladder can’t quite reach. Northside Tool Rental offers several man lift rental options to fit your project!
All About Man Lifts
Man lifts were originally designed for picking fruit off the highest tree branches, since ladders caused damage to branches and unripe fruit. They are still frequently used in orchards!
Man lifts are often used in construction projects, especially when full-sized cranes are too large. Firefighters may use personnel lifts in emergency situations, since the platforms can reach upper-floor windows where people may be trapped.
Power and Utility companies use personnel lifts to reach everything from traffic lights to transformers. Tree Service companies also use man lifts to trim, cut, and remove foliage.
Many man lifts come equipped with outlets for power tools, or compressed air connectors for other specialized equipment. They’re perfect for reaching inaccessible places, and for projects which may not be safe or appropriate for ladders.
Some man lifts can even be set up by a single person!
Types of Personnel Lifts Available at Northside Tool Rental
Northside Tool Rental offers four types of man lift rentals, all of which are found here.
- Scissor Lifts: These lifts are wheeled, and have vertical up and down motion only. They are great for warehouse work. We offer 19-20’, 25-26’, and 32’ heights, each with a two man capacity.
- Personnel Lifts: Our battery-operated personnel lifts are designed for one person, and extends to a maximum height of 25’.
- Bucket Lifts: This type of lift is towable, and features gas and hydraulic power with a self-leveling bucket. Lift extends to 32’ platform height, with a 40’ working height. The telescoping boom allows for easy access over any trees, landscapes, or structures that might be in the way!
- Vertical Mast Lifts: Similar to our scissor lifts, vertical mast lifts have vertical up and down motion only. However, our vertical mast lifts are smaller and have a superior turning radius for projects in tight quarters. This model also offers a 20” traversing platform, which is perfect for increased reach over obstacles.
Tips and Safety Info
While man lifts are extremely helpful with getting projects done, they can also be dangerous if used improperly! Here are some tips to keep you and your employees safe.
- Always inspect the lift prior to operation.
- Do not drive a lift with the boom or platform elevated or extended.
- Familiarize yourself with any fail safes and emergency stop functions.
- Never use forklifts in place of a personnel lift, even if it seems more convenient! This can be very dangerous.
- If you’ve never used a particular model, read the instruction manual!
- Ensure that you or your employees are trained or certified to use any personnel lift equipment.
- Make good use of any safety harnesses or fall arresters that your lift comes with.
- Double check that your lift is properly secured and balanced before sending anyone up!
- Take extra precaution around overhead power lines, as metal railings will conduct electricity.
- Do not overload a lift’s marked weight capacity, as this will damage the lift and pose a possible safety risk.
Man Lift Rental Rates and Prices
|19 – 20’ Scissor Lift
|Vertical Mast Lifts
|25 – 26’ Scissor Lift
|32’ Scissor Lift
All of our available personnel lifts can be found here, and include further details and pricing.
Northside Tool Rental
With an experienced and knowledgeable staff, Northside Tool Rental is your best resource for your home projects. If you have any questions, our friendly team is more than happy to answer anything you’d like to know!
Every location is open Monday through Saturday. Call us, or come visit us at one of our locations listed above! We look forward to helping you complete your projects!