As summer comes to a close, the colors and scents of fall are unmistakable. Leaves turn all types of vibrant hues as the weather cools, while apples, pumpkins, and corn appear at every store. When the summer decor goes back into the closet until next season, it’s time to look at some fall yard decorating ideas.
Fall Yard Decorating Ideas
There are so many possibilities when it comes to decorating your yard for fall. Just about every store will have a seasonal aisle packed with spooky Halloween decor, autumnal wreaths, and Thanksgiving-themed decor.
For the enthusiastic homeowner, you can easily dress up your yard for Halloween and Thanksgiving. For others, a single decor choice to cover both may be preferred!
If you’re looking for something a little different in your yard this fall, consider some of the ideas below!
- Paint beach balls to look like giant eyes, and fasten them into an evergreen tree with wire or rope. You can add red or yellow pupils for fun!
- Instead of scrapping fallen branches or throwing them onto your fire, consider making them a decorative piece as a DIY Witch’s Broom! All you need is one large branch for the handle, and as much kindling-sized twigs as you’d like for the brush. Fasten the smaller twigs to the main handle using ribbon, twine, or rope. Your finished product will make for a great conversation piece!
- DIY Gravestones can easily be made out of cardboard or Styrofoam and paint, and can be a fun project to enjoy with your kids. Just for fun, personalize each ‘stone’ for your family and have everyone come up with their own epitaph!
- Shape chicken wire into spooky shapes – skulls, bones, ghosts, whatever your imagination desires – and then spray paint them with glow in the dark paint. You can find a helpful how-to guide here.
- Fill a large metal lantern with decorative gourds, pinecones, or other seasonal decor, and set it out on your porch along with any other decorations you may have.
- In a similar vein, hang mason jars along the pathway to your home, and place dried acorns around candles for an attractive and unique walk!
- Signage is always eye catching for passers-by, and there is no end to what can be done with wood and paint, metal if you’re a metalworker, or even clay if you’re a potter! Halloween “Travel” signposts can point to destinations such as Transylvania or Salem, while Thanksgiving signposts can point the way to a delicious meal.
- Decorative corn, hay bales, and pumpkins are a common fall-time addition to many lawns. Make yours different by using your Christmas lights early, and twining strings of white lights through branches and across your corn or hay bales!
- Fall-Themed Garden Containers can work for both Halloween and Thanksgiving. Build a fall foliage container from reclaimed wood or pallets. You could also build an outdoor window box if desired.
- For the avid woodworker, construct your own rustic wheelbarrow and fill with hay, pumpkins, decorative gourds, sculptures, and more.
- Mums are a colorful and distinctly ‘fall’ addition to any container garden, while pansies hold their color long into the season. Combined with fall-themed mulch and other seasonal plants, your garden will be the perfect decor in itself! Till your lawn with one of our tillers to make short work of a fall garden project.
- ‘Floating’ picture frames make the perfect background for select fallen leaves from your garden. Nothing speaks ‘fall’ more than the natural decor from your yard!
As you can see, there is no shortage of ideas for fall yard decorating ideas! Creativity and a DIY spirit can no doubt bring a wide variety of decor into your yard this season.
Northside Tool Rental
If you’re planning to use some creative juices to decorate your yard this fall, but don’t have the tools to make your idea a reality, come to Northside Tool Rental! We’ve got saws, drills and hammers, and more for the woodworker in your family. We even have blowers for when the fall leaves start building up on your lawn!
We have five convenient locations around the Atlanta area so that you can spend less time in traffic and more time on your fun, fall creation!