Are you getting ready to clean up your yard? A chipper or chipper/shredder will help speed up the task and in return, give you free mulch or compost. Renting the wrong equipment for the job can cause equipment failure. The following considerations will help you decide if you need to rent a chipper or a chipper/shredder.
Primary considerations when renting 6″ & 12″ limb chippers:
- Minimum branch diameter for the chipper is 1″. Maximum is 6″ or 12″.
- If you put smaller items, leaves, or vines in the chipper, this will cause the chipper to jam. Do not put wet items, including green wood into the chipper. The chipper will not chip these items (for that you need a Chipper/Shredder see below).
- Be careful for embedded metal objects – sometimes trees have spikes or barbed wire and sometimes people just throw anything and everything in the chipper.
- These chippers are auto-feed. Never try to force or speed up the process – the chipper will control the speed once the item is inserted into the feed area. Let the chipper do the work.
- Always feed from the side, not directly behind the feeder.
- Never wear loose clothing around a chipper.
- ALWAYS disengage the drive belt before starting and stopping. Never start the chipper with the belt engaged or the belt will break.
- The belt will also break if wet, green wood, leaves etc (see above) are inserted.
- Broken belts carry a significant replacement cost and are not covered by Damage Protection Program.
Primary considerations when renting 3″ Chipper/Shredder:
- Do not insert material larger than 3″ in diameter.
- Do not put anything wet into the chipper/shredder.
- Leaves should be fine. Vines should be fine.
- Some chipper/shredders are auto feed, some are not.
- These are light duty machines and are not “smaller” chippers, or “cheaper” chippers. Chippers & Chipper/Shredders do different things.
Northside Tool Rental offers the following chipper and chipper/shredder models to choose from.
- The Vermeer BC625A Chipper will chip branches up to 6” in diameter. (Specifications)
- The Vermeer BC1000 XL Chipper can handle branches up to 12” in diameter. (Specifications)
- the Eliet Pro IV Chipper/Shredder that can handle branches up to 3” in diameter. (Specifications)
Both Chippers and Chipper/Shredders need to be operated using caution. Before operating any rental equipment make sure to read and understand the operating instructions. Northside Tool Rental experts are always available to answer any of your questions about Chippers and Chipper/Shredders.